Hailey Josephine

Hailey Josephine

Aubrey Christine

Aubrey Christine

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Ear Infection

Wrote this before our trip but never posted it... late sorry

So Thursday, Hailey got a fever and throw up all over Digger and JC. By the time I got home from work she still had a fever and was so cranky. We put her to bed loaded up on Motrin and Tylenol, and waking up to check on her through out the night. Around 2ish, she didn't feel warm anymore, so we thought that we had hit the curve down. But Friday morning... the fever was back. Hailey, is very hard to judge when she is sick. She can be playing fine with a low grade temp and then when it starts creeping back up she gets very clingy or a bit whiny. But then she will be fine. So, it's hard to judge if she is getting better. Friday, we just kept the Motrin going every 6 hours and Tylenol in between. Which seem to keep her temp about 98.9-99.0 (low grade but functional). JC and I had dinner and theatre ticket with his parents that night... so the plan was that Hailey would stay the night with my parents and then we would get up early Saturday morning, pick her up and head to Houston for Emme's birthday. Well, by the time we need to go to dinner her fever had broke and she was just a little out of the norm. So, we took her to my parents and head off to dinner. We kept calling and getting tabs through out the night. My mom said she was great just a little whiny but played outside all night. She just kept giving her Motrin and Tylenol on schedule like we had been to make sure her temp didn't come back. Feeling good that we were over this little sickness, we let her stay the night and had a great evening with my in-laws. We saw Young Frankenstein... note to all, very funny and you should go see it. So Saturday morning we woke up at 6am, I was in the shower when the phone rang. It was my mom, Hailey had 103.5 temp, so plans changed and we went to get her and no trip to Houston (I was very bummed about this). By this time she was starting fight us on taking Motrin or Tylenol and even taking her temp (which we were doing under her arm). On our way back home we stop by Walgreen's to buy an ear thermometer. Well worth the money. Plus, it takes a temp in 5 seconds... if you don't have one, go get one. It is very helpful in the middle of the night, you can just sneak in take a temp and walk out. By now we were fed up, what do we do?? Hailey and I fell asleep on the couch but her temp was low grade no big deal. By the time she woke up from her nap...you guessed it going back up. Enough, we got in the car and headed to Good Night Pediatrics (an urgent care for kids - fabulous). But, this trip to good night was not good. They tested her for strep (negative) and then the doctor (a local pedi) couldn't see her ear because of the wax. Now in past times, my pedi or when we go to good night another pedi, use the little q-tips or that hook-n-eye thing to get the wax out. But I guess this Pedi is not comfortable with that because she had the nurse do the warm water wash out. I pray no one has to go through this... We had to literally lay on Hailey to hold her down and the nurse would squirt water in Hailey's ears. She HATED all 15 MINUTES of it. JC & I were completely shocked by how traumatic it was. So, it came down that she did have an ear infection  and antibiotics were started. But I did make a point to ask if the warm water would make the ears look red... she said no. The good thing about Good Night Pedi is they give you the first dose of antibiotics there, so you have time to your script filled. But Hailey was done... she didn't want anyone to touch her ears or put anything in her mouth. PROBLEM!!! Once again we were fighting her and holding her down to take meds!?! So, Sunday comes around still battle fever and Hailey.... JC and I are just exhausted with the whole ordeal. She went to bed with us not knowing if she got Motrin or even her antibiotics. NEED TIPS FOR GETTING HER OVER THE FEAR OF MEDICATION???? She use to just take the syringe from us and suck it down, but we have seriously done a 180 backwards. Today JC and I had to work. We get up and I tried to trick her by putting the antibiotic in her milk, then making it chocolate milk (which she doesn't really get). So, she sees her cup and says "Milk". Thinking this might work... I say in return "Yes, and it's chocolate Milk". All smiles she takes a drink and the shakes her head.... "Milk mommy, Milk". And she was not fooled. I just figured my mom could get her to take it later. But when I called my mom she said that she is to smart. She wouldn't take, then she tried to put in another cup - nope, then she just tried regular milk no med in the first cup - nope, and then she finally had to get a 3rd cup and have Hailey watch her pour juice in, before she would even drink anything. At this point we are just giving up and don't want to deal with it. I made her a pedi appointment with our pedi and my mom took her. She does for sure still have a ear infection in the left ear, but the right look ok. We switched to a better tasting antibiotic only once a day. Plus, she gave us lots of ideas to try to get her back to taking medication on her own..... No luck with those ideas, still had to hold her down and fight her. My tough cookie wants to make us go crazy, and right before JC & I leave to go to Washington DC (without her). Hopefully in the next 2 days we can get her past this.

1 comment:

HILER said...

This sounds harsh, but I had to do it with a girl I nannied one summer in HS: Hold her down and put the meds in her mouth with the syringe then blow in her face. This will make her swallow the meds. I would only do this if you can't trick her in any way. Have you tried it in oatmeal or yogurt?

Our Buddies